auditd not logging proper log.

Steve Grubb sgrubb at redhat.com
Sun Aug 8 13:42:10 UTC 2021

On Saturday, August 7, 2021 12:47:56 AM EDT Rakesh Kumar wrote:
> 1)I am using this version of auditctl version 2.4.4 . So does this version
> has the user login/logout info to log into audit.log ?

This is not the responsibility of auditd. Auditd provides libaudit.
Applications use that to create log events. It is the reposibility of system
entry point daemons to log the event. User login events have been supported
as long as I can remember.

> 2) If u  to want to see the pam.d/login file configuration to check why its
> not logging the login/logout info then please let me know about this,

It's not configurable by an end user. Its configured at compile time. You would
want to look at the build logs for pam and entrypoint daemons such as sshd,
gdm, kdm, etc.