Maximum Value for q_depth

Steve Grubb sgrubb at redhat.com
Thu Dec 9 14:18:56 UTC 2021

Hello,

On Wednesday, December 8, 2021 11:00:50 PM EST Amjad Gabbar wrote:
> Got it. Makes sense to me. Thanks for the explanation Steve.
>
> One last thing though based on the discussion we had, if the kernel is able
> to offload events even during bursts, wouldn’t setting q_depth
> =backlog_limit be enough?

Depends on the client attached to the af_unix socket. The kernel could have a
burst and then another. If the client isn't reading the af_unix socket fast
enough, there could still be  overflows. That said, it is likely to be enough.
But I'd look into the client app that reads the af_unix socket to see why
it's taking so long.

> The reason being if there was an overflow on the kernel side, a different
> message would be printed in the logs but because it is all dispatch errors,
> I assume the kernel is able to handle the burst which is why the reasoning
> of increasing q_depth to backlog_limit.

The q_depth being 90 is your likely problem. Realistically, that only allows
20 - 30 events to be enqueued.

-Steve