Samba and AuditD

Steve Grubb sgrubb at redhat.com
Thu Feb 11 22:14:44 UTC 2021

Hello,

Moderating System still messed up today...

On Wednesday, February 10, 2021 6:57:28 PM EST Alan Evangelista wrote:
> SG>  The Linux kernel has no idea who the user is in the
> Windows machine since they're not really logged in. This applies to all
> remote files systems.
>
> I thought that any filesystem operation requested by a user in Windows
> would necessarily be executed by some user in Linux in the end (either a
> generic user such as samba or, in my specific case, the Linux user which is
> mapped to the MS Active Directory user by Centrify). After all, the
> filesystem is managed by Linux. Is that assumption incorrect?

Maybe. It depends on the implementation. If its all in the kernel, then
probably not. This is the case with several file systems such as NFS. If the
file system is served from user space then you may get events. I have heard of
some file system servers opening the device and using it directly.

Basically, if you can strace the daemon and see it accessing the file system
with the sycalls you expect, then the kernel's audit engine can capture the
access but won't know who to attribute it to.

-Steve