New bug in Audit

Steve Grubb sgrubb at redhat.com
Mon Jan 9 15:08:04 UTC 2023

On Friday, January 6, 2023 3:33:18 PM EST Paul Moore wrote:
> > This mailing list is *focused* on upstream work and support, and while
> > it does not preclude talking about distro specific bugs, I believe
> > there are better avenues for those discussions (e.g. see the RHBZ link
> > I provided in my response) as upstream isn't really going to be able
> > to provide adequate help for someone experiencing problems with a
> > distro kernel which has a number of patches and backports.
> >
> > If you have a problem with this approach, perhaps we should move
> > upstream development to an audit mailing list on vger.kernel.org and
> > leave this list for RH specific issues?
>
> Steve, I realize it's only been ~24hrs, but should I assume you are
> okay with that (the upstream focused approach)?

For the 18 years I've spent on this mail list, it has alway been open to any
topic audit related. I've answered questions for many distributions. If I can
reproduce the issue, then it's a bug worth looking at. If I can't reproduce
it, I let them know. I've even answered questions for people writing their
own audit implementation.

A lot of the email is upstream kernel work - no doubt. But Many times, we
miss upstream kernel bugs because no one is running upstream code. We usually
hear about it when a distribution which stays close to upstream releases a
new update.

The text where you sign up for this mail list does not limit the topc to
upstream work, it allows for any discussion as long as it's audit related. I
do not think making a new mail list is in anyone's interest. Bugs will always
get misreported if there are 2 lists.