Sycall Rules vs Watch Rules

Amjad Gabbar amjadgabbar11 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 12 21:20:54 UTC 2023

So,

Based on this and some experiments I have been performing, I would suggest
changing how a lot of the FileSystem rules are written and illustrated.
Ex -
https://github.com/linux-audit/audit-userspace/blob/master/rules/30-pci-dss-v31.rules#L34-L35

The rule in the repository is
-a always,exit -F path=/etc/sudoers -F perm=wa -F
key=10.2.2-priv-config-changes

My suggestion is to instead change the rule based on the permissions
defined. The above rule would change to the following based on the kernel
being used.
-a always,exit -S <list of syscalls in audit_write.h and audit_read.h
+open,openat> -F path=/etc/sudoers -F perm=wa -F
key=10.2.2-priv-config-changes

This is higher performance because we are limiting the syscalls instead of
making use of -S all which has more paths of evaluation for each and every
syscall.

Same thing for watches. Watches are inherently -S all rules which are very
performance intensive.
https://github.com/linux-audit/audit-userspace/blob/1482cec74f2d9472f81dd4f0533484bd0c26decd/lib/libaudit.c#L805

Ideally we should limit the syscalls based on the permissions being used.

I have implemented the same in my environment rules and have noticed a
massive performance difference with no difference in the events being
logged since we anyways filter eventually based on the permissions.

Let me know what you all think.

Ali Adnan.