Sycall Rules vs Watch Rules

Steve Grubb sgrubb at redhat.com
Tue Sep 19 23:12:14 UTC 2023

Hello,

On Tuesday, September 12, 2023 5:20:54 PM EDT Amjad Gabbar wrote:
> Based on this and some experiments I have been performing, I would suggest
> changing how a lot of the FileSystem rules are written and illustrated.
> Ex -
> https://github.com/linux-audit/audit-userspace/blob/master/rules/30-pci-dss
> -v31.rules#L34-L35
>
> The rule in the repository is
> -a always,exit -F path=/etc/sudoers -F perm=wa -F
> key=10.2.2-priv-config-changes
>
> My suggestion is to instead change the rule based on the permissions
> defined. The above rule would change to the following based on the kernel
> being used.
> -a always,exit -S <list of syscalls in audit_write.h and audit_read.h
> +open,openat> -F path=/etc/sudoers -F perm=wa -F
> key=10.2.2-priv-config-changes

That should be exactly what the kernel does with the perm fields. The perm
fields select the right system calls that should be reported on.

> This is higher performance because we are limiting the syscalls instead of
> making use of -S all which has more paths of evaluation for each and every
> syscall.
>
> Same thing for watches. Watches are inherently -S all rules which are very
> performance intensive.
> https://github.com/linux-audit/audit-userspace/blob/1482cec74f2d9472f81dd4f
> 0533484bd0c26decd/lib/libaudit.c#L805

There should be no difference in performance between watches and syscall
based file auditing.

> Ideally we should limit the syscalls based on the permissions being used.
>
> I have implemented the same in my environment rules and have noticed a
> massive performance difference with no difference in the events being
> logged since we anyways filter eventually based on the permissions.
>
> Let me know what you all think.

I'm looking into this more. I see a 1 line change that I am testing.

-Steve