Sycall Rules vs Watch Rules

Amjad Gabbar amjadgabbar11 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 20 00:26:04 UTC 2023

Hi,

> The perm fields select the right system calls
> that should be reported on.

That is accurate from a functional perspective. There is no change in the
events logged. But there is a difference in performance. This is most
evident for syscalls not part of the perm fields.

Futex is a syscall that I see called fairly often in my system, which is
not part of the perm fields.
As an example, I selected the ospp rules file to measure  performance via a
synthetic test-
https://github.com/linux-audit/audit-userspace/blob/master/rules/30-ospp-v42.rules

stress-ng —futex 1 —futex-ops 1000000

If we look at the performance numbers for the file rules as is, the
auditing percentage is about 14%.

Now if we were to just add the specific syscalls that the perm fields
filter on in the rules file, the auditing percentage would drop to around
2%.

Again this synthetic test is just for demonstration purposes but helps
explain the point. Basically for syscalls not part of the perm fields we
filter them at a much later stage in the AUDIT_PERM case(due to -S all)
whereas if we use specific syscalls within the rule itself, we would exit
the processing in audit_filter_syscall itself for uninteresting syscalls,
hence improving the performance.

>I see a 1 line change that I am testing.
Let me know if you need any help. I did have a partial PR ready for
submission but wanted to get your opinions before submitting anything.

Regards
Ali Adnan