[Linux-cluster] Subversion?

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at backtobasicsmgmt.com
Mon Aug 23 18:36:41 UTC 2004

Daniel Phillips wrote:

> Sources.redhat.com not only consists entirely of free software, but
> shows leadership to the free software community.  We[1] are interested
> in advancing not only our own projects, but other open source projects
> such as Subversion and Arch.
>
> [1] Presumptively speaking for what I presume is the majority.

I wholeheartedly agree with these statements, and if using Free Software
projects to advance your own is the right decision then I fully support
it. I just don't like to see decisions made using inaccurate,
politicized arguments.

In this case, you are far better off (IMO) to say "We won't use
BitKeeper because it is not open source", rather than to rely on
arguments about its licensing model. It's likely that even if the
binary-only free use license for BitKeeper came with _no_ restrictions
whatsoever, it still would not be your choice for an SCM, because it is
not open source.