[Linux-cluster] having problems trying to setup a two node cluster

vahram vahram at Broadspire.com
Wed Dec 1 17:29:55 UTC 2004

Hi all,

I'm trying to set up a little two node demo cluster, but I'm having some
weird issues.

Here's my cluster.conf:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<cluster name="demo" config_version="1">

   <cman two_node="1" expected_votes="1">
   </cman>

   <nodes>
     <node name="nodeA" votes="1">
       <fence>
         <method name="single">
           <device name="human" ipaddr="192.168.2.203"/>
         </method>
       </fence>
     </node>
     <node name="nodeB" votes="1">
       <fence>
         <method name="single">
           <device name="human" ipaddr="192.168.2.204"/>
         </method>
       </fence>
     </node>
   </nodes>

   <fence_devices>
     <device name="human" agent="fence_manual"/>
   </fence_devices>

</cluster>

I have both nodeA and nodeB defined in /etc/hosts on both boxes, and I
launched ccsd on both machines.  All the necessary modules are also loaded.

When I run ccs_test connect, I get a connection refused message.  I then
tried to run cman_tool join on both boxes.  nodeB successfully receives
a copy of cluster.conf, but it then tries to form it's own cluster.  In
other words...nodeA sees this:

[root at nodeA ~]# cat /proc/cluster/status
Version: 3.0.1
Config version: 1
Cluster name: demo
Cluster ID: 40925
Membership state: Cluster-Member
Nodes: 1
Expected_votes: 1
Total_votes: 1
Quorum: 1
Active subsystems: 0
Node addresses: 192.168.2.203
[root at nodeA ~]# cat /proc/cluster/nodes
Node  Votes Exp Sts  Name
    1    1    1   M   nodeA

and nodeB sees this:

[root at nodeB ~]# cat /proc/cluster/status
Version: 3.0.1
Config version: 1
Cluster name: demo
Cluster ID: 40925
Membership state: Cluster-Member
Nodes: 1
Expected_votes: 1
Total_votes: 1
Quorum: 1
Active subsystems: 0
Node addresses: 192.168.2.204
[root at nodeB ~]# cat /proc/cluster/nodes
Node  Votes Exp Sts  Name
    1    1    1   M   nodeB

Both boxes are running FC3, and I used the SRPM's from
http://people.redhat.com/cfeist/cluster/SRPMS/

Please let me know what I'm doing wrong here...thanks!

-vahram