[Linux-cluster] having problems trying to setup a two node cluster

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Wed Dec 1 18:08:49 UTC 2004

vahram wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm trying to set up a little two node demo cluster, but I'm having some
> weird issues.
>
> Here's my cluster.conf:
>
> <?xml version="1.0"?>
> <cluster name="demo" config_version="1">
>
>   <cman two_node="1" expected_votes="1">
>   </cman>
>
>   <nodes>
>     <node name="nodeA" votes="1">
>       <fence>
>         <method name="single">
>           <device name="human" ipaddr="192.168.2.203"/>
>         </method>
>       </fence>
>     </node>
>     <node name="nodeB" votes="1">
>       <fence>
>         <method name="single">
>           <device name="human" ipaddr="192.168.2.204"/>
>         </method>
>       </fence>
>     </node>
>   </nodes>
>
>   <fence_devices>
>     <device name="human" agent="fence_manual"/>
>   </fence_devices>
>
> </cluster>
>
> I have both nodeA and nodeB defined in /etc/hosts on both boxes, and I
> launched ccsd on both machines.  All the necessary modules are also loaded.
>
> When I run ccs_test connect, I get a connection refused message.  I then
> tried to run cman_tool join on both boxes.  nodeB successfully receives
> a copy of cluster.conf, but it then tries to form it's own cluster.  In
> other words...nodeA sees this:
>
> [root at nodeA ~]# cat /proc/cluster/status
> Version: 3.0.1
> Config version: 1
> Cluster name: demo
> Cluster ID: 40925
> Membership state: Cluster-Member
> Nodes: 1
> Expected_votes: 1
> Total_votes: 1
> Quorum: 1
> Active subsystems: 0
> Node addresses: 192.168.2.203
> [root at nodeA ~]# cat /proc/cluster/nodes
> Node  Votes Exp Sts  Name
>    1    1    1   M   nodeA
>
> and nodeB sees this:
>
> [root at nodeB ~]# cat /proc/cluster/status
> Version: 3.0.1
> Config version: 1
> Cluster name: demo
> Cluster ID: 40925
> Membership state: Cluster-Member
> Nodes: 1
> Expected_votes: 1
> Total_votes: 1
> Quorum: 1
> Active subsystems: 0
> Node addresses: 192.168.2.204
> [root at nodeB ~]# cat /proc/cluster/nodes
> Node  Votes Exp Sts  Name
>    1    1    1   M   nodeB
>
> Both boxes are running FC3, and I used the SRPM's from
> http://people.redhat.com/cfeist/cluster/SRPMS/
>
> Please let me know what I'm doing wrong here...thanks!

I had a similar issue.  The problem was with the multicast routing.
I was using two NICs on each node...one public (eth0) and one private
(eth1), with the default gateway going out eth0.

The route for the multicast (224.x.x.x) was going out the default
gateway and not reaching the other machine.  By putting in a fixed route
in for multicast:

	route add -net 224.0.0.0/8 dev eth1

it all started working.  This was my fix, it may not work for you.
Also, I use the CVS code from http://sources.redhat.com/cluster and
not the source RPMs from where you specified.
-     Veni, Vidi, VISA:  I came, I saw, I did a little shopping.     -