[Linux-cluster] GNBD, how good it is ?

Brian Jackson notiggy at gmail.com
Thu Jul 8 18:46:01 UTC 2004

On Thu, 8 Jul 2004 16:47:24 +0200, Kresimir Kukulj <madmax at iskon.hr> wrote:

> What is the difference/development status of RedHat's (sistina) GNBD
> compared to OpenGFS GNBD ? Which one is more stable ? I see on sourceforge
> project page that OpenGFS GNBD was not updated since 2002.

Once we (OpenGFS) found out that there were other alternatives, we
thought we had more important things to do than to maintain gnbd (with
our limited resources). It was deprecated some time ago. GFS's code
however has been maintained, and updated to newer kernels, etc. GFS's
is by far a better choice as far as those two are concerned.

> I also found NBD, ENBD, DRBD but these don't support client nodes to be
> mounted (even read-only) if master node is using the device.
>
> Is there any other technology (software) that can export a block device from
> 1 master to couple of slave nodes ? Read only access on client nodes is good
> enough.

iSCSI and HyperSCSI both work with GFS, so those are options. I
suppose you'd be better off answering the question of whether they are
stable enough for you.

--Brian Jackson