[Linux-cluster] GFS

Adam Cassar adam.cassar at netregistry.com.au
Sat Oct 23 17:20:28 UTC 2004

I've done a lot of testing with a similar set up as you describe about 1
month ago and found the following issues:

1) GFS seems to scale well with raw throughput but not with raw file
operations (no matter how we tuned the fast)
2) fsck times are too slow for large file systems in a production
environment
3) GFS has serious issues recovering from various fail modes
4) Some fail modes result in file system corruption that can even crash
a node when attempting to remount the file system

Other than that it does work and the gnbd gives good performance. Maybe
the above issues have been sorted out since I last tested. However it is
a complex piece of software that I feel requires a lot of work before it
can be used reliably in a production environment.