[Linux-cluster] Configuration Question

Bonaffini, Andrew andrew.bonaffini at lmco.com
Mon Sep 20 14:09:33 UTC 2004

I am running cluster suite with RH ES 3.0 and 7 server nodes, and have a
configuration question.  I would like to have a backup server in my
configuration which is normally not running any services - failed
services in my cluster are to always failover to the backup server.  I
think I can do this by having restricted failover domains consisting of
2 members - the active server and the backup; i.e. there would be 6 such
restricted failover domains defined, one for each active server (or
maybe there is an easier way - any suggestions?), all pointing to the
same backup server.

The problem is that my cluster configuration currently obtain the IP
address of the backup server through DNS.  After a failure occurs we are
changing the DNS so that a different server assumes the backup role - in
other words, after the services are switched to the backup and the
failed server is repaired, the repaired server then assumes the backup
server role.  Since the IP addresses of the servers in the cluster suite
are obtained through DNS, this effectively changes the IP addresses out
from under the cluster suite, and I'm not sure what effect this may have
on the system.  Is there a better way to achieve what we are trying to
do?

Thanks,

Andy Bonaffini
Lockheed Martin Maritime Systems and Sensors
Manassas, VA
andrew.bonaffini at lmco.com