[Linux-cluster] /bin/login hangs on NFS troubles

Alexander Spanke aspanke at hpce.nec.com
Wed Aug 10 17:18:06 UTC 2005

Hi all,

we have a problem with the configuration of a linux cluster based on RH
ES3 WS. The cluster contains 230+ nodes; these nodes are sharing
/usr/local/bin over NFS due to shared scripts for health checking.

Now, if we encounter NFS problems, the login process is hanging non-stop
  until the NFS connection is back again.
After checking all startup scripts and $PATH definitions we found out,
that the /bin/login binary itself is pre-defining the $PATH hardwired
with /usr/local/bin in the beginning.

Unfortunately we cannot change the /usr/local/bin down to the local disk
again, but need a solution to be able to login even or especially with
NFS problems to start investigation.

Do you have any nice idea, how to get rid of this problem ? Changing the
binary and rebuild the package is one, but we don't like it because of
missing update possibility after it ...

Thnx in advance

Cheers
  Alex

Alexander Spanke			 System Analyst
       NEC High Performance Computing Europe GmbH
Prinzenallee 11		   D-40549 Duesseldorf, Germany
Tel:	+49 211 5369 146   	   aspanke at hpce.nec.com
Fax:	+49 211 5369 199    	http://www.hpce.nec.com