[Linux-cluster] Re: If I have 5 GNBD server?

Michael mikore.li at gmail.com
Sun Aug 28 16:39:53 UTC 2005

On 8/27/05, brianu <brianu at silvercash.com> wrote:

> Hello all,
>

> This is a question I have basically been asking, the question on why you
> would want to do it is failover, the docs at
> http://sourceware.org/cluster/gnbd/gnbd_usage.txt state
> that dm-multipath is an option for gnbd, and documents elsewhere also
> indicate that GNBD can be configured as a redundancy, yet I cannot find any
> documentation on how to configure it.
>

> If using LVM to make a volume of imported gnbds is not the answer for
> redundancy can anyone suggest a method that is? Im not opposed to using any
> other resource of cluster or GFS but I would really like to implement a
> redundant solution, ( gnbd, gulm, etc.).

Hi, Brianu, maybe LVM + md + gnbd should be one of the solution for
redundancy, for example, you have 2 gnbd servers, each one exports 1
disk. Then, the steps should be:
1. create a RAID-1  /dev/md0 on GFS client with imported 2 gnbd block devices.
2. use LVM  create /dev/vg0 on top of them.
3. mkfs_gfs on /dev/vg0.
I haven't tried this configuration, theoretically, it should work.

Thanks,

Michael