[Linux-cluster] CLVM & Partition Mounting

D Canfield canfield at uindy.edu
Tue Dec 6 21:07:58 UTC 2005

I'm trying to build my first GFS cluster (2-node on a SAN) on RHEL4, and
I can get things up and running manually, but I'm having some trouble
getting the process to automate smoothly.

The first issue is that after I install the lvm2-cluster RPM, I can no
longer boot the machine cleanly because my /var/log partition is on a
separate LVM VolumeGroup (It's still a standard ext3 partition, I just
keep all my logs on a RAID10 array in a different area of the SAN for
performance) and the presence of clvm library seems to prevent vgchange
from running at boot time since clvmd isn't yet running.  This part I'm
assuming I'm just missing something obvious, but I have no idea what.

The second issue is that GFS doesn't seem to allow an automatic way to
actually mount the GFS partitions once clvmd is started.  This is a bit
of an issue since the partition I am going to want to mount in most
cases is /home, and even if I put a mount line in /etc/rc.local, that
means services like imap (this cluster) or samba (on the next one) will
be up and trying to serve items out of the home directories before the
directories exist.

Sorry if I'm being brain dead on this, the fact that I couldn't any
reference to it anywhere else suggests I probably am.   Can anyone offer
any hints?

Thanks
DC