[Linux-cluster] CLVM & Partition Mounting

D Canfield canfield at uindy.edu
Wed Dec 7 15:01:05 UTC 2005

Patrick Caulfield wrote:

>D Canfield wrote:
>

>>I'm trying to build my first GFS cluster (2-node on a SAN) on RHEL4, and
>>I can get things up and running manually, but I'm having some trouble
>>getting the process to automate smoothly.
>>
>>The first issue is that after I install the lvm2-cluster RPM, I can no
>>longer boot the machine cleanly because my /var/log partition is on a
>>separate LVM VolumeGroup (It's still a standard ext3 partition, I just
>>keep all my logs on a RAID10 array in a different area of the SAN for
>>performance) and the presence of clvm library seems to prevent vgchange
>>from running at boot time since clvmd isn't yet running.  This part I'm
>>assuming I'm just missing something obvious, but I have no idea what.
>>

>You need to mark cluster VGs as clustered (vgchange -cy) and non-clustered VGs
>as non-clustered (vgchange -cn). You can't have non-clustered LVs in a
>clustered VG (though it doesn't look like you're doing that).
>
>The activation for local VGs should then have the --ignorelockingfailure flag
>passed to the LVM commands, which should also only be activating the local VG)
>so it will carry on even if the cluster locking attempt fails.

I see that the ignorelockingfailure flag was already in the initscripts
of RHEL4, and a bit more testing got me some different information.  If
I have lvm2-cluster installed, the process will error out to the
maintenance shell when it tries to fsck my /var/log partition.  If I
look in /dev/mapper VolGroup01 has not been activated (though if I look
higher up in the boot log, vgscan did see it).  But from the maintenance
shell, I can go ahead and run vgchange -a y --ignorelockingfailure (just
like the rc.sysinit does 2-3 times by the time it gets to the fsck), and
the VolGroup01 is activated just fine.

If I remove the lvm2-cluster RPM, the machine boots up fine.  Also, if I
leave the lvm2-cluster RPM installed but change the mount options from
"defaults 0 2" ro "defaults 0 0", it will skip the fsck, and by the time
the machine is booted, the /var/log partition has indeed been mounted (I
think it gets mounted after clvmd starts).

I've checked that -c n is set on this local volumegroup, but that
doesn't seem to make a difference.  I've listed a few outputs below.

Any other thoughts?  Thanks much.
# vgdisplay
  --- Volume group ---
  VG Name               VolGroupMailGFS
  System ID
  Format                lvm2
  Metadata Areas        1
  Metadata Sequence No  3
  VG Access             read/write
  VG Status             resizable
  Clustered             yes
  Shared                no
  MAX LV                0
  Cur LV                1
  Open LV               0
  Max PV                0
  Cur PV                1
  Act PV                1
  VG Size               341.62 GB
  PE Size               16.00 MB
  Total PE              21864
  Alloc PE / Size       21864 / 341.62 GB
  Free  PE / Size       0 / 0
  VG UUID               ehOhtR-cYE8-xjls-Qle0-eT71-DmZO-p5ur6v

  --- Volume group ---
  VG Name               VolGroup01
  System ID
  Format                lvm2
  Metadata Areas        1
  Metadata Sequence No  2
  VG Access             read/write
  VG Status             resizable
  MAX LV                0
  Cur LV                1
  Open LV               1
  Max PV                0
  Cur PV                1
  Act PV                1
  VG Size               4.98 GB
  PE Size               16.00 MB
  Total PE              319
  Alloc PE / Size       318 / 4.97 GB
  Free  PE / Size       1 / 16.00 MB
  VG UUID               3Xuzas-tiX2-DgPG-71JH-dB2O-U1qH-SCdgGD

  --- Volume group ---
  VG Name               VolGroup00
  System ID
  Format                lvm2
  Metadata Areas        1
  Metadata Sequence No  3
  VG Access             read/write
  VG Status             resizable
  MAX LV                0
  Cur LV                2
  Open LV               2
  Max PV                0
  Cur PV                1
  Act PV                1
  VG Size               7.89 GB
  PE Size               16.00 MB
  Total PE              505
  Alloc PE / Size       504 / 7.88 GB
  Free  PE / Size       1 / 16.00 MB
  VG UUID               cYiUzS-QlnZ-PF50-0kAO-kYL0-V3Yw-dXwBIe

# pvdisplay
  --- Physical volume ---
  PV Name               /dev/sdc
  VG Name               VolGroupMailGFS
  PV Size               341.62 GB / not usable 0
  Allocatable           yes (but full)
  PE Size (KByte)       16384
  Total PE              21864
  Free PE               0
  Allocated PE          21864
  PV UUID               NYWZVb-yKBl-o7dR-Xq9s-0z3A-VFS0-wxzwc1

  --- Physical volume ---
  PV Name               /dev/sdb1
  VG Name               VolGroup01
  PV Size               4.98 GB / not usable 0
  Allocatable           yes
  PE Size (KByte)       16384
  Total PE              319
  Free PE               1
  Allocated PE          318
  PV UUID               EFIqWw-SvP6-OWGV-u350-mwyx-5lJQ-29ksqz

  --- Physical volume ---
  PV Name               /dev/sda2
  VG Name               VolGroup00
  PV Size               7.89 GB / not usable 0
  Allocatable           yes
  PE Size (KByte)       16384
  Total PE              505
  Free PE               1
  Allocated PE          504
  PV UUID               qR2QxR-KuPF-Wsvc-w0yv-d7rK-3NlY-wLRREb

# lvdisplay
  --- Logical volume ---
  LV Name                /dev/VolGroupMailGFS/LogVolHome
  VG Name                VolGroupMailGFS
  LV UUID                7bE2Zt-27A2-OHga-qFDI-QnNc-m21r-LUaXEm
  LV Write Access        read/write
  LV Status              NOT available
  LV Size                341.62 GB
  Current LE             21864
  Segments               1
  Allocation             inherit
  Read ahead sectors     0

  --- Logical volume ---
  LV Name                /dev/VolGroup01/LogVolLogs
  VG Name                VolGroup01
  LV UUID                01rj7U-809c-jHmg-n6y7-md6Z-yYlF-NYMxCi
  LV Write Access        read/write
  LV Status              available
  # open                 1
  LV Size                4.97 GB
  Current LE             318
  Segments               1
  Allocation             inherit
  Read ahead sectors     0
  Block device           253:2

  --- Logical volume ---
  LV Name                /dev/VolGroup00/LogVolRoot
  VG Name                VolGroup00
  LV UUID                YFunW2-SKSz-T6pZ-7Agf-AFvO-W411-bfX3Q1
  LV Write Access        read/write
  LV Status              available
  # open                 1
  LV Size                6.88 GB
  Current LE             440
  Segments               1
  Allocation             inherit
  Read ahead sectors     0
  Block device           253:0

  --- Logical volume ---
  LV Name                /dev/VolGroup00/LogVolSwap
  VG Name                VolGroup00
  LV UUID                uvuww5-PzDY-79pc-hxtk-33Rl-L2tI-Kp9IDb
  LV Write Access        read/write
  LV Status              available
  # open                 1
  LV Size                1.00 GB