[Linux-cluster] cluster architecture

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Wed Feb 9 19:21:34 UTC 2005

vahram wrote:
> Raw throughput isn't really an issue for us.  We're more interested in
> seek times.  My biggest concern with GFS is stability and
> performance...any feedback in regards to that would be greatly
> appreciated.  Thanks!

So far, GFS has worked quite well under our tests.  We have yet to have
it break.  Our current GFS implementation is only on two nodes with gulm
running on a separate lock server.  I intend to update the kernels on
those nodes sometime this week (to the 2.6.11 variety) and change the
locking from gulm to cman (since that seems to be fixed at this point).

The SAN that's attached is an off-brand FC unit via a dual-port switch
and the nodes are using QLogic QLA2300 HBAs.

The application we've been using to test hasn't stressed it that badly
(it's been pooping out long before the servers were stressed), so I
can't say a whole lot.  I can say that rsyncing the entire filesystem
(20GB) didn't cause any problems, either pitching or catching.
-   You possess a mind not merely twisted, but actually sprained.    -