[Linux-cluster] cluster architecture

IVANYI Ivan ivan.ivanyi at isb-sib.ch
Thu Feb 10 11:02:17 UTC 2005

I've got 3 nodes direct attached to SAN. The performance of GFS has disappointed
me a bit so far. Maybe I've got something wrong but then again documentation is
lacking... unless I'm looking in the wrong places.

Previously in a slightly different configuration I had only a slight performance
hit with IBM's GPFS.

Rick Stevens wrote:
> vahram wrote:
>
>> Raw throughput isn't really an issue for us.  We're more interested in
>> seek times.  My biggest concern with GFS is stability and
>> performance...any feedback in regards to that would be greatly
>> appreciated.  Thanks!
>

> So far, GFS has worked quite well under our tests.  We have yet to have
> it break.  Our current GFS implementation is only on two nodes with gulm
> running on a separate lock server.  I intend to update the kernels on
> those nodes sometime this week (to the 2.6.11 variety) and change the
> locking from gulm to cman (since that seems to be fixed at this point).

Again not too sure about the different locking mechanisms .. do you mean
cman/dlm? will this work better for you?

Ivan Ivanyi

Swiss Institute of Bioinformatics
     1, rue Michel Servet
     CH-1211 Genève 4