[Linux-cluster] A few GFS newbie questions: journals, etc

Patrick Caulfield pcaulfie at redhat.com
Wed Jun 29 06:56:16 UTC 2005

Nate Carlson wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Jun 2005, Patrick Caulfield wrote:
>
>> Yes, you can force expected_votes to be an unreasonable low value.
>> Personally I set it to 1 on my single-machine Xen test cluster but
>> then I don't care about data corruption ;-)
>

> One thing I've noticed with this - it seems that as machines join the
> cluster, expected_votes is automatically raised. (IE, I can start a
> single node and have it gain quorum, but if I join another node and then
> leave the cluster, the first one loses quorum - if I manually drop the
> expected vots with cman_tool, then it gains quorum again.) Is that
> expected behavior? I'd expect manually specifying expected_votes to lock
> it down.

Yes, this is expected behaviour. When you add a node to the cluster,
expected_votes is adjusted to be the higher value of all cluster nodes. If you
want to lock down expected_votes then you need to override it in cluster.conf
otherwise it will be calculated by cman_tool to be the sum of the votes of all
the nodes in that file.

--

patrick