[Linux-cluster] Re: [Clusters_sig] Planning a Cluster meeting at OLS

James Bottomley James.Bottomley at SteelEye.com
Mon May 9 15:21:13 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-05-09 at 06:04 -0700, Walker, Bruce J wrote:
> I am trying to gauge interest in a cluster meeting at OLS (before OLS
> starts).  Topics would include, but not be limited to:
>    membership, fencing, apis, (kernel and non-kernel)
>    DLM
>    cluster filesystems (hooks, DLMs, recovery, membership, etc.)
>    common hooks for clusterwide process management
>       - openssi, openmosix, bproc, kerrighed, cassat, ...
> Goal would be to make progress toward common infrastructure or common
> infrastructure interfaces that various groups could work with.

I have two topics that seem to me to be important for this:

1. Since almost every one of those clusters has pieces in the kernel and
pieces in userland, getting information across the kernel/user boundary
in a uniform fashion for all of them seems to be crucial.  At the
moment, it looks like the OCFS usysfs mechanism is really the only
candidate, but that's still encountering turbulence from Al Viro.
Perhaps agreeing on a common such mechanism and how it should be
implemented would be useful

2. I'd like to see a readout from the Red Hat Walldorf cluster event
added to the agenda (assuming such an event takes place, that is).

James

P.S. I'd like to come, but as you know I'll be at the Kernel Summit on
Monday and Tuesday, so it would only be to pop in briefly for particular
sessions.