[Linux-cluster] auto send fence_ack_manual?

David Teigland teigland at redhat.com
Mon May 16 07:05:56 UTC 2005

On Mon, May 16, 2005 at 02:19:23AM -0400, Dan B. Phung wrote:
> In the usage of our cluster, we have machines getting rebooted often,
> which causes gfs to hang in waiting for the fence_ack_manual.  Usually I'm
> sure the rebooting node(s) fenced, so I find the manual acking redundant.
> I could also use the fence_sanbox2 fenced, but I don't like the idea of
> having to enable the switch ports before the node can reenter the cluster.

If you're doing controlled reboots, you should have the node
shutdown/leave the cluster cleanly.  Then it won't be fenced.

If that's not possible, you can have a node automatically re-enable its
own switch port when it starts up by calling 'fence_sanbox2 -o enable'
directly.

> I was thinking of "hacking" the daemon on my stable master node so that it
> sends the fence ack as soon as it's requested.  Does something like my
> usage scenario already exist?

no

> Does this violate some principal design in the fenced?

Yes, it's equivalant to doing no fencing at all.

Dave