[Linux-cluster] Sane configuration?

Nate Carlson natecars at natecarlson.com
Wed May 25 20:08:53 UTC 2005

Hey all,

Just getting started with the whole GFS/CLVM thing, and wanted to run a
config by the people who actually know what they are doing before I try to
deploy it, in case I'm doing anything really stupid.  :)

I'm basically looking at setting up a 4-node cluster, using GFS to share
storage. I've picked up a Dell PowerVault 660F fibre array for the central
sotrage, and a PV51F fibre switch (equivilent to a Brocade 2400,
apparently), which will have the array and each of the boxes connected to
it.

Here's the kicker: I'd like to run Xen on these boxes, and be able to
migrate VM's and such between them. (This is really why I want the shared
storage, besides just for experience.)

My plan is to create a LUN for each of the individual nodes to boot from,
and then have a large shared LUN for CLVM. Within the CLVM PV, I'll create
a LV for each of the Xen domains/vm's to boot from, and then have a large
GFS LV for the shared data.

Does this sound reasonable? Anyone see any huge holes in my logic? I'm
hoping that GFS will compile and work within the Xen-ified Linux kernel -
I suppose I should've tried that out before ordering hardware, but ah
well.  :)

Hope someone has some comments, and thanks for reading!