[Linux-cluster] Upgrade from 32-bit to 64-bit servers

Jan Bruvoll jan at bruvoll.com
Wed Nov 2 17:53:29 UTC 2005

Lon Hohberger wrote:

>On Wed, 2005-11-02 at 16:49 +0000, Jan Bruvoll wrote:
>

>>Dear list,
>>
>>as we are quickly filling up our 8Tb GFS file system, we have started
>>planning the migration to 64-bit linux "clients". In that respect I have
>>been looking for information on how to "upgrade" the filesystem, and I
>>haven't been able to find out whether we have to do anything in
>>particular to the filesystem when switching, or whether the on-disk data
>>structures will be the same for 64 bit machines? Can anybody on the list
>>shed light on how we would move on from the 8Tb limitation?
>>

>The GFS on-disk metadata structures are 64-bit clean.

Hi, thanks for your reply. Ok, so the ondisk data structures can stay.
Is there then anything in particular we need to do to be able to grow
the fs past 8Tb, apart from attaching clients that understand "large
integers"? Will we have to reformat with a larger blocksize, or can we
continue using the current disk contents as-is?

Best regards
Jan