[Linux-cluster] Upgrade from 32-bit to 64-bit servers

Troy Dawson dawson at fnal.gov
Wed Nov 2 18:02:05 UTC 2005

Lon Hohberger wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-11-02 at 16:49 +0000, Jan Bruvoll wrote:
>
>>Dear list,
>>
>>as we are quickly filling up our 8Tb GFS file system, we have started
>>planning the migration to 64-bit linux "clients". In that respect I have
>>been looking for information on how to "upgrade" the filesystem, and I
>>haven't been able to find out whether we have to do anything in
>>particular to the filesystem when switching, or whether the on-disk data
>>structures will be the same for 64 bit machines? Can anybody on the list
>>shed light on how we would move on from the 8Tb limitation?
>

> The GFS on-disk metadata structures are 64-bit clean.
>
> -- Lon

I don't believe switching your machines to 64-bit is going to help you.
  I have both 64 bit and 32 bit using the same GFS file system without
any problem, and without doing anything to the filesystem.

Also, from the release notes for GFS 6.1
http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/csgfs/release-notes/GFS_6_1-relnotes.txt
    Increased total storage supported

     Red Hat GFS now supports 8 terabytes of storage. For more
information about Red Hat GFS requirements, refer to the Red Hat GFS 6.1
Administrator's Guide, "Chapter 2. System Requirements".

And if you are wondering about the guide, it again says 8 terabytes at

http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/csgfs/browse/rh-gfs-en/s1-sysreq-fibredevice.html

Troy