[Linux-cluster] Clustering Tutorial

Tim Spaulding tspauld98 at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 20 18:58:24 UTC 2005

Just a note of caution, there's a big difference between High Availability Clustering and High
Performance Clustering.  AFAIK, Beowulf is an HPC technology.  RHCS (Red Hat Cluster Suite) and
GFS (Global File System) are HAC technologies.  Some of the underlying building blocks are used by
both communities but they are used for fundamentally difference purposes.

http://www.linux-ha.org is the home of another HAC, linux-based technology.  They have more
documentation on clustering and its concepts.  Red Hat does a good job on the HOW-TOs of getting a
cluster working but a terrible job of telling folks the WHY-TOs of clustering.

I'm currently working on a comparison of linux-ha and RHCS so if you have questions regarding HAC
on linux then fire away.  If you have a beowulf cluster, je ne comprends pas, sorry.

--tims