[Linux-cluster] a doubt on quorums

Castang Jerome placid at adelpha-lan.org
Wed Apr 12 08:18:20 UTC 2006

Kumaresh Ponnuswamy a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> I have a problem with my cluster and quorum settings and any help will
> be appreciated.
>
> I have a five node cluster with quorum vote of 1 for all the 5 nodes.
> They have a GFS shared file system on all the five nodes, and, two
> domains and two services involving two nodes.
>
> When I shut down the 3 nodes that don't participate in the two domains
> and clustered services, both the services stop and fail to start when
> tried manually also.
>
> I guess it is something to do with the quorum settings, but not sure
> on the way forward.
>
> The environment is on RHEL AS 4U2 with GFS 6.1 and RHCS 4U2.
>
> Regards,
> Kumaresh

If you have 3 nodes of 5 falling down, your cluster becomes a two node
cluster.
So, as it is written in documentation, it's a "special cluster" and it
has to be specified (in cluster.conf or by this command "can_tool join -2")
When you have a two node cluster, it is possible that  each node  is
isolated (this is the "splitbrain" ).

--
Jerome CASTANG
Tel: 06.85.74.33.02