[Linux-cluster] Clustat in user's profile

Lombard, David N david.n.lombard at intel.com
Thu Apr 20 14:39:44 UTC 2006

From: Steve Nelson on Wednesday, April 19, 2006 2:36 PM
> Hi All,
>
> On all of my clusters, I have clustat run in the user's profile, so
> the status of the cluster is visible whenever someone logs in.
>
> Someone has suggested to me that clustat could hang, and prevent user
> access.  Is this a valid point?  Under what (if any) circumstances
> would clustat hang?

As another has pointed out, anything that can hang the login, will, at
the most inopportune times.

Why not have a cron job periodically report the status into some file
and then just cat the file results during login?  If the user then
really wants an up-to-the-moment report, they can buy into running
clustat.

--
dnl