[Linux-cluster] Re: Preventing automatic poweron?

Troels Arvin troels at arvin.dk
Sat Apr 22 13:51:32 UTC 2006

On Sat, 22 Apr 2006 09:42:17 -0400, Greg Forte wrote:
> the problem is, in a 2-node cluster, node 1 by itself has
> quorum, so if node 2 is powered off then it considers it dead and tries
> to revive it by fencing

Actually, I think what I want is: Fencing should always result in
poweroff, not reboot. I wonder if there is a clean way to do that?

Rationale: A node should never die. If it does, by definition, an
undefined state has occurred, and I would rather not have such a server
start without having a chance to look into log files, etc.

> can you cut off communications to node 2's ILO from node 1 temporarily?

Hmm, good point. The ILO communication happens through cross-over cables
with endpoints in the ILO, and in a dedicated NIC. I guess that I may
ifdown the interface corresponding to the NIC on Node 1 (the one
performing the fencing).

--
Greetings from Troels Arvin