[Linux-cluster] Re: Preventing automatic poweron?

Greg Forte gforte at leopard.us.udel.edu
Sat Apr 22 14:08:03 UTC 2006

Troels Arvin wrote:
> On Sat, 22 Apr 2006 09:42:17 -0400, Greg Forte wrote:
>> the problem is, in a 2-node cluster, node 1 by itself has
>> quorum, so if node 2 is powered off then it considers it dead and tries
>> to revive it by fencing
>
> Actually, I think what I want is: Fencing should always result in
> poweroff, not reboot. I wonder if there is a clean way to do that?
>
> Rationale: A node should never die. If it does, by definition, an
> undefined state has occurred, and I would rather not have such a server
> start without having a chance to look into log files, etc.

Check your cluster.conf - it's probably already sending a "poweroff",
then a "poweron", like this (for an APC power unit):

<fence>
    <method name="1">
      <device name="FENCE1" option="off" port="1"/>
      <device name="FENCE1" option="on" port="1"/>
    </method>
</fence>

in which case you can just drop the "on" part to achieve the desired
result.  Otherwise you may need to hack at the fence_ilo script a bit -
it's just a perl script.

-g