[Linux-cluster] patch 2.6 kernel without modules

Patton, Matthew F, CTR, OSD-PA&E Matthew.Patton.ctr at osd.mil
Thu Aug 10 19:03:11 UTC 2006

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED

> small as possible (the smallest Fedora/RedHat I could get by
> stripping RPMs was still 650MB).

wow, really? my more or less stripped RH4 is 163 RPMs and a footprint of
~350mb and that is with man pages and all the other junk in /usr/share.

> I would like to work without kernel modules

I'm with you there. however, I would suggest building a minimalist kernel
with module support and putting all the standard things compiled in and
using modules for extraneous stuff like GFS and cluster services. The reason
is GFS etc are a moving target and it's a LOT easier to track the steady
stream of bugfixes by just deploying new modules than it is to keep
recompiling a full kernel.

unless your webfarm is doing something unusual, NFS will be vastly simpler,
easier, and probably a lot faster. I think recent Linux NFS is a much less
sucky than it used to be.