[Linux-cluster] patch 2.6 kernel without modules

Philox / Jonathan Salomon joni at philox.eu
Sat Aug 12 09:55:16 UTC 2006

Patton, Matthew F, CTR, OSD-PA&E wrote:

> unless your webfarm is doing something unusual, NFS will be vastly
> simpler, easier, and probably a lot faster. I think recent Linux NFS
> is a much less sucky than it used to be.

As my webfarm is serving webpages, I don't think my webfarm is doing
something unusual ;) But seriously why would NFS be faster? I have a
Dell EMC AX-150 storage machine that speaks iSCSI to my cluster nodes,
which are equipped with iSCSI HBA's, so they are directly connected to
the data storage. If I were to connect only one machine to the data
storage and export the data through NFS on that machine, it seems to me
that creating this extra layer would only slow it down!?

Could you elaborate why you think/know NFS would be faster?

Thanks!
Jonathan