[Linux-cluster] Setting up a GFS cluster

Brendan Heading brendanheading at clara.co.uk
Wed Aug 16 07:33:23 UTC 2006

Celso K. Webber wrote:

> Maybe a Dell|EMC AX-100 using iSCSI could a better choice with a not so
> high price tag.
>
> Sorry for the long message, I believe this information can be useful to
> others.

Celso,

Please don't apologize, your reply was very informative and you've
probably just saved me a big pile of cash :) I've never been happy with
the PERC RAID controller that I currently have, and as part of moving to
the cluster I intend to use Adaptec stuff all the way. However it sounds
like that won't fly with the PowerVault in any case.

I saw the EMC AX-100 but I've got one significant problem with it - the
disk storage inside is SATA. The server that I'm dealing with is
essentially a build server used to do regular parallel builds, and it
may be simultaneously in use at any one time by up to 20-30 users. I've
been looking at iSCSI but I find it very strange that nobody seems to
sell iSCSI-to-SCSI boxes.

Do you think an SATA-based array is likely to hold up under these
conditions ?

A less important reason here is that I've got a bunch of 15000rpm 150GB
& 300GB SCSI320 disks connected to the Dell boxen at the moment that I
was hoping to reuse. It would be nice to reuse them, but I don't have to.

Thanks again,

Brendan