[Linux-cluster] Setting up a GFS cluster

Celso K. Webber celso at webbertek.com.br
Wed Aug 16 02:23:40 UTC 2006

Hello Brendan,

Although Dell hardware is an excellent choice for Linux, the PV220S
solution is terrible at performance under a cluster environment.

The reason is that the PV220S itself does not manage RAID devices, it is
in fact a JBOD (Just a Bunch Of Disks). The RAID management is done by
the SCSI controllers within the servers (PERC 3/DC or PERC 4/DC).

Since there is a possibility of one of the machines going down, together
with data in the controller's write cache, this solution automatically
disable the write cache (write through mode) when you set the
controllers in "cluster mode".

The end result is very poor performance, specially on write operations.
It's not uncommon that Dell provides the PV-220S with 15K RPM disks to
compensate this performance penalty due to lack of write cache.

As far as I can tell, Red Hat did support the PV220S solution in the
past, during the RHEL 2.1 era, but it is not supported anymore as
certified shared storage for cluster solutions (RHCS or RHGFS).

If you still plan to go on, be warned that the PV220S performs better in
Cluster Mode if you set up the data transfer rate to 160 MB/s instead of
320 MB/s (the PERC 3/DC supports transfer rates of up to 160 MB/s while
the PERC 4/DC supports up to 320 MB/s). This is a known issue at Dell
support queues.

As an extra information, there were too many problems about reliability
with the PV220S when used in Cluster Mode, this can be seen by the large
amount of firmware updates for the PERC 3/DC and 4/DC (LSI Logic based
chipset, megaraid driver on Linux). More recent firmware versions seem
to have corrected most logical drive corruption problems I've
experienced, so I believe the PV220S is still worth a try if you can
live with the poor performance issue.

Maybe a Dell|EMC AX-100 using iSCSI could a better choice with a not so
high price tag.

Sorry for the long message, I believe this information can be useful to
others.

Best regards,

Celso.