[Linux-cluster] Which lock manager to use on a 2-node GFS Cluster?

Riaan van Niekerk riaan at obsidian.co.za
Wed Aug 16 12:33:16 UTC 2006

hi Hirantha

short answer: "No"

If you are willing to settle for "should work just fine" instead of
"certified by Oracle" you can try running DLM on 2 RAC/GFS nodes, then "yes"

To have your solution certified/supported by Oracle, for a minimal
configuration you need 5 machines:
a) 2 GFS/RAC nodes
b) 3 external GULM lock servers

We also found these system requirements somewhat excessive (having more
lock servers than actual GFS-accessing cluster nodes).

more notes:
- supported GFS with RAC is GULM only - DLM is not supported by Oracle,
because it is embedded by default.

- external lock servers - that means the the GULM service cannot run on
the nodes accessing the GFS. The 3 GULM nodes and the 2 GFS/RAC nodes
must be completely separate

- the reason for the separation of lock servers from GFS/RAC nodes is
that Oracle RAC is designed to be able to with a single node up, whereas
DLM  needs a quorum of 50%+1 to operate. Also, external lock servers
allow you to reboot any RAC node without causing the lock server to switch.

- specs for the locks servers are as entry-level as you can get for
modern server hardware, e.g. 1CPU, 1GB RAM.

- Red Hat Knowledge base article for RAC on GFS:
http://kbase.redhat.com/faq/FAQ_78_3853.shtm
It mentions GFS 6.0, (slightly out of date) but is just as relevant for
GFS 6.1 / RHEL 4). According to this article, "Red Hat does not charge
for Red Hat GFS nodes that are used only for the external lock server
configuration"

- the Cluster/GFS FAQ has some URLs for RAC on GFS:
http://sources.redhat.com/cluster/faq.html#gfs_oraclerac

- MetaLink Note  329530.1 is the definitive source for what exactly is
supported by Oracle, w.r.t. RAC and GFS. Unfortunately it is only
available via Metalink.

Celso - answers to your questions below

Hirantha Wijayawardena wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I also wanted to post the same question on Bob post. But I given-up to ask
> 'cause it written as " DLM should work just fine." From the clause "Right
> now, Oracle and Oracle RAC are only certified to work with the GULM locking
> manager. So Oracle won't support your configuration if you're using DLM.
> However, DLM should work just fine. Also, GULM has works fine on more than
> 32 nodes."
>
> I just wanted to know was whether we could run Oracle or oracle RAC on
> 2-node cluster with DLM
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> - Hirantha

No

(for purposes of my answer, I assume you mean GFS nodes when you write
cluster nodes)

>> If not, which is the best option and which are supported by Red Hat?
>> a) to have just 1 lock manager in one of the Cluster Nodes;
Supported by Red Hat. Not supported by Oracle. Lock manager is a single
point of failure

>> b) to have just 1 lock manager in a machine outside the Cluster;
Supported by Red Hat. Unsure if supported by Oracle. Lock manager is
still a single point of failure

>> c) to have 2 GULM lock manager on the cluster nodes;
Not possible. you need 1 (minimum) or 3+ (recommended)

>> d) to have 3 or 5 lock managers using both the 2 cluster nodes and other
>> servers?
Have 3 lock managers external to the GFS nodes. the GFS nodes may not
run the GULM server (neither primary nor standby) for it to be supported
by Oracle.

This is your best option in terms of support, redundancy, etc, if not
the most cost-effective.