[Linux-cluster] Low cost storage for clusters

Brendan Heading brendanheading at clara.co.uk
Wed Aug 16 19:34:40 UTC 2006

Celso K. Webber wrote:
> Hello again Brendan,

Celso,

Thanks again for the informative reply.

<snip>

> I believe the performance will be quite acceptable, even though the
> storage uses SATA disks.

That's the key point. At the moment my users are used to RAID5 on a
PERC4 controller, which, let's face it, is not exactly stellar. If I buy
a few extra drives in order to do RAID 10, and use dedicated iSCSI HBAs,
that should do nicely.

Timothy Lin followed up:

 >I'd think twice about getting an AX-100
 >it's an entry level SATA-1 only EMC raid (No NCQ support)
 >I got one for a non-clustering environment and the speed I get out of
 >it and the speed isn't much faster than a decent single SCSI HDD.

I suspect that I'd be looking to use high-end SATA disks (eg WD Raptor)
with NCQ enabled so this is a bit of a bummer.

Has anyone got any experience with the EMC AX-150 ? It is the current
machine which Dell are offering. Since it is SATA II I guess it should
do NCQ ?

I know that with a SCSI-based array, the number of cluster servers I can
connect to the array are limited by the number of SCSI ports on the
array enclosure. With iSCSI, is it simply a matter of connecting lots of
servers using a regular gige ethernet switch ?

On the subject of ethernet switches, are they all made equal ? Obviously
I know that some are managed, but what are you getting when you pay
large amounts of money for fairly ordinary looking switches ?

> In my opinion the secret with these cheaper solutions is on storage
> processors. If they hold a reasonable amount of cache memory, they can
> compensate eventual latencies with the hard drives.

The AX-150 has 1GB cache. That sounds OK :)

> Finally, I think iSCSI is a good thing if you don't need high
> performance I/O. I previously suggested you iSCSI in place of Dell's
> PV220S (which lacks write cache in Cluster mode) because an iSCSI
> solution with full cache functionality would give you similar or better
> performance than the PV220S solution.

I'm happy enough that iSCSI is acceptable, I don't think I will be able
to justify a full fibre-channel SAN. Certainly I'd expect it to do as
well as straight SCSI320 given that it has 3x the raw bandwidth (even
accounting for the TCPIP overhead).

> With iSCSI, we haven't seen very high performance I/O rates. In one
> case, a customer employed an IBM storage (don't remember the model),
> which was accessed via iSCSI using a Cisco iSCSI-to-fibrechannel switch.
> Even with trunking enabled on the iSCSI NICs on the servers, performance
> was not outstanding as the storage itself would give if the servers were
> direct attached or connected through an SAN. We used in this case
> standard NICs and Linux's traditional iscsi-initiator-utils (a
> sourceforge project), so we could have better performance if we employed
> dedicated iSCSI NICs (such as the QLogic models).

I would probably plan on getting iSCSI HBAs at least for the critical
machines in the cluster. I'm planning to allow a few lower-priority
machines access to the GFS cluster filesystem too, but those machines
will probably just use a regular NIC.

Thanks again,

Brendan