[Linux-cluster] Low cost storage for clusters

Patton, Matthew F, CTR, OSD-PA&E Matthew.Patton.ctr at osd.mil
Wed Aug 16 20:02:55 UTC 2006

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED

> I'm happy enough that iSCSI is acceptable, I don't think I
> will be able
> to justify a full fibre-channel SAN. Certainly I'd expect it to do as
> well as straight SCSI320 given that it has 3x the raw bandwidth (even
> accounting for the TCPIP overhead).

use Jumbo frames and thruput might be much better. Then again I don't know
how iSCSI generates packets. I hope it's not 1 packet per disk block which
is typically 512bytes. presumably how many disk blocks / packet is a
(auto-)tunable parameter.

switch price matters. But some of the cheepies claim features that the
big-names charge 10x as much for which doesn't make sense. I never pay the
Cisco tax unless there is a gun to my head.