[Linux-cluster] GFS + CORAID Performance Problem

Jayson Vantuyl jvantuyl at engineyard.com
Tue Dec 12 08:41:07 UTC 2006

> My thanks to Jayson and especially Wendy for providing so much help
> with this issue.  With a little help from Coraid, I've troubleshot
> the performance issues down to one of the two ports on the Coraid
> device.  In the end, I was able to move the performance problem
> from on of my two hosts to the other just by swapping ports.  I'll
> follow up with Coraid to see if I have a hardware problem.
I don't know what Coraid recommends, but I usually recommend not
plugging devices directly into the ports.  I vastly prefer having a
good gigabit switch there instead.  Here at Engine Yard, we actually
have two switches that provide redundancy across either port.  The
current AoE driver is good enough to use both networks to spread the
load if you have two independent network paths, so you also get
better performance.  We actually have separate cards in each of our
servers to prevent failure of an individual network card from being
an issue (and AoE should handle this well as long as the driver
doesn't crash in this state).

In terms of clustering, having redundant networks is very handy--
especially if you use a qdisk.

> It's really nice to have such a great level of community support.
> Wendy, I'd be happy to share the particulars on my deployment once
> I get things stabilized.
I'd be interested too.

--
Jayson Vantuyl