[Linux-cluster] Cluster heartbeat - minimum nic speed

Coman Iliut comaniliut at gmail.com
Tue Dec 12 20:30:43 UTC 2006

We've had issues with heartbeats being lost but it was always because one
node was internally too loaded, and the process sending heartbeats was not
getting enough time to run and send those heartbeats.

You must figure out what is your network traffic from the apps you're
running and make sure you're under the H/W limit. Sending a heartbeat to the
other node should not be a problem if you're under the limit.

Coman

On 11/16/06, David Elliott <david.elliott at shazamteam.com> wrote:

> Hello
>
> We're running a 2 node rhas4 cluster with gfs and fibre attached storage
>
> At the moment we have a pair of bonded 10/100 nics for heartbeat and gfs
> locking communication (bonded in active/standby mode)
> There are an additional pair of gigabit nics bonded for general network
> traffic
>
> We've been having some performance issues with GFS which have been
> investigating - mainly to do with slow file stat operations like find,
> and ls.
>
> a comparison of a data set (700,000 files in a single directory) on gfs
> and then on ext3 is below
>
> # GFS
> [root at mrapp1 ~]# time ls /free0/partnerimport/data/soap-2/ >/dev/null
>
> real    17m10.035s
> user    0m8.220s
> sys     0m52.310s
>
> # EXT3
> [root at mrapp1 ~]# time ls /mr/sig/partnerimport/data/soap-2 > /dev/null
>
> real    0m59.854s
> user    0m5.296s
> sys     0m0.662s
>

> Can anyone confirm whether using a 10/100 nic for heartbeat would be
> having an impact on performance , and whether it would be advisable to
> ensure these are gigabit?
>
> Many thanks
> Dave

Coman ILIUT