[Linux-cluster] dependencies between services

Greg Forte gforte at leopard.us.udel.edu
Thu Feb 2 23:23:57 UTC 2006

Is it possible to set up dependencies between cluster services?  That
is, I have services A, B, C, and D.  B, C, D can't run unless A is
running, but B, C, and D are all independent of each other and I want to
be able to control them individually, i.e. be able to start/stop (or
rather, enable/disable) each without affecting the others.  I know I
could define them as dependent resources all in the same service, but
then I can't have that independence between B, C, and D ... unless I'm
missing something.

Of course, the fall-back approach is that I just define each as a
separate service and make the init scripts for B, C, and D check to see
that A is running (probably via a clustat | grep "A's name" kludge), but
I'm hoping there's a better way, since this is ugly as hell and will
only work if the service consists entirely of init script resources.

-g

Greg Forte
gforte at udel.edu
IT - User Services