[Linux-cluster] 9i RAC GFS Certification?

Brian Long brilong at cisco.com
Thu Feb 23 12:33:21 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-02-23 at 17:04 +0700, Thai Duong wrote:
> You are rite. ATM, Oracle only certifies GFS 6.0 on x86 RHEL3 only.
> Anyway, we have been running a 9.2.0.7 RAC with GFS 6.0 on ia64 RHEL 3
> for months without no major problem. We had some problems with <
> 9.2.0.7 patchset but after upgrading to the current patchset, the
> system is quite stable.
>
> We have been testing another 9.2.0.7 RAC with GFS 6.1 on ia64 RHEL 4
> for two weeks. So far so good. If things go smoothly in the next two
> weeks, we will upgrade our production system to RHEL4. Yeah we know
> that using something not certified is dangerous but as far as I know
> Oracle has no plan to certify GFS 6.1 on RHEL4. So we must certify it
> ourselves!

Your last statement is incorrect.  Red Hat GFS folks are working with
Oracle to certify 10gR2 on GFS 6.1 on RHEL 4 in the near term; however,
GULM is the only supported lock manager for this certification.  They
require 3 external nodes to the RAC cluster (none of the RAC nodes can
be a standy lock node, for example).

Red Hat told me this was at the insistence of Oracle.  :(

/Brian/

--
       Brian Long                      |         |           |
       IT Data Center Systems          |       .|||.       .|||.