[Linux-cluster] doubts about using clvm

Erling Nygaard erling.nygaard at gmail.com
Mon Jan 2 15:26:18 UTC 2006

Some nitpicking first :-)
There is no such thing as a "GFS server" or "GFS client". The nodes that are
mounting a GFS filesystem are usually called "GFS nodes"
However, there are indeed "GNBD servers" and "GNBD clients that exports and
imports blockdevices.

So I understand your setup to be one node (the Ubuntu node) is acting as a
GNBD server and exports two disk drives.
And then there are two nodes (the RHEL4 nodes) that acts as GNBD clients and
imports the two disk drives. On these disk drives is the GFS filesystem.

I have not used CLVM with GFS yet, but with the old pool-driver (the volume
manager that was shipped with GFS previously) this setup could be done in 2
different ways:
1. Combine the two disk drives on the GNBD server and export _one_ volume
2. Export _two_ volumes from the GNBD server and combine the volumes on the
GNBD client / GFS nodes.

I would assume both ways would work with CLVM.

On 1/2/06, carlopmart <carlopmart at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
>   I am testing Cluster/GFS suite under my vmware lab. I have installed
> two RHEL 4 with CS and GFS support. Another machine acts as a GFS
> server (Ubuntu breezy server that has rhcs/gfs included).
>
>   Ubuntu server has two phisycal disks exported by gnbd daemon and
> RHEL   import these disks as a GFS clients. But I would like to export
> these disks as a unique disk using LVM. Then, I need to start clvm
> process under Ubuntu server or on RHEL clients??? Is it possible to
> accomplish this?.
>
> Thanks.
> --
> CL Martinez
> carlopmart {at} gmail {d0t} com

-
Mac OS X. Because making Unix user-friendly is easier than debugging Windows