[Linux-cluster] WebFarm using RedHat cluster suite ?

Marc Grimme grimme at atix.de
Fri Jan 20 08:02:57 UTC 2006

On Thursday 19 January 2006 17:43, FM wrote:
> First, Thank you all for the great input !
> Here is more output about our sites :
> Some static HTML web site. Sites are generated in Lan and then rsync to
> DMZ. And other with mod_perl + Postgresql Database (local)
Don't use postgres clustered(parallel with multiple writer nodes, HA should
not be a problem) on gfs. That is not supposed to work. As far as I know. You
would need a dbms that supports parallel clustering itself. Like i.e. Oracle
9iRAC.
> One of our most visited site (static html) is using nealy 200 GB of
> bandwidth / month
> and have 545368 hists a day.
> For decembre 2005 stats  :
> http://stats.lexum.umontreal.ca/awstats.pl?month=12&year=2005&output=main&c
>onfig=www.canlii.org&lang=en&framename=index
>
> Now we are using dual Xeon (2 Ghz), with 2,5 GB of RAM. with RAID 5 SCSI
> 10KRPM
> Network is GB
> Budget is 200K CA$
Ok. You are having 500000 hit/day. One question would be how many I/Os does a
hit issue. The other question is, is that the upper bound or do you expect it
to grow, so that the infrastructure will have to grow in parallel. You should
really be picky about the storage-infrastructure (includes storage system and
locking network). Separate storage and locking network. Under normal
circumstances 500000hits/day should not be a problem. But if you are right
now using SCSI Disks stay with SCSI or FC-Disks they are way much faster and
relyable then SATA. The more and faster Disks you use the more I/Os you will
get. Besides for 200k CA$ you should also get a FC-Infrastructure and
Storage.
Also think about consolidating all data (even the os, share the root fs of the
servers) on to the storage system. It saves you loads of management (scales
within small amount of time) and disks in the servers. And you can easily
replace a faulty server by pulling it out and powering a new one back on. We
have made quite good experiences at webfarms with that concept.
Check back a http://www.open-sharedroot.org/. We will have a howto for
building up such a sharedroot within the next week.

Hope that helps
Regards Marc.