[Linux-cluster] multiple issues

Greg Forte gforte at leopard.us.udel.edu
Mon Jan 23 20:36:34 UTC 2006

Greg Forte wrote:
> 3) the biggie: I have a GFS filesystem on a shared FC storage node
> (AX100).  I haven't put any "real" data on it yet because I'm still
> testing, but yesterday I had the cluster up and running and the
> filesystem mounted on both nodes, and everything seemed peachy.  I came
> back this morning to find that any attempted operations (e.g. 'ls') on
> the shared system came back with "Input/output error"
> The time coincides with cron.daily firing, so I'm guessing the culprit
> is slocate (since that's the only job in cron.daily that would have
> touched that filesystem), but I'm not having any luck reproducing it.
> The only thing on that filesystem currently is the webroot, and there
> were no hits at the time.  Any ideas?

Well, my guess was half-correct.  It was something in cron.daily, but
not slocate - it's logwatch causing the pain.  And it crashes it on a
single node even if it's not running concurrently on the other node.
More specifically, it's df, which logwatch calls.  Anybody else seen this?
gfs_tool df mountpoint also causes the problem, returning the slightly
more helpful "gfs_tool: error doing get_stat_gfs (-1): Input/output error".

-g

Greg Forte
gforte at udel.edu
IT - User Services