Fwd: [Linux-cluster] GFS and Oracle Clusterware

shak dshaks at redhat.com
Fri Jan 20 18:20:53 UTC 2006

Today you will need to continue to use non-LVM2 RAW devices
for Oracle 10G as the CRS voting disks,  until we can  work will Oracle
to relax
their configuration requirements.

So, here is why CRS won't support ocr/vote files on LVM2 volumes.

When you map the volume to a raw device (so it is character special and not
block special), this should be the way to go:

Assigning devices:           /dev/raw/raw1  -->   /dev/mapper/redo1-logs1
/dev/raw/raw1:  bound to major 253, minor 4
          /dev/raw/raw2  -->   /dev/mapper/redo2-logs2
/dev/raw/raw2:  bound to major 253, minor 5

#/dev/raw$ file *
raw1: character special (162/1)
raw2: character special (162/2)

However, when I run hdparm:
#/dev/raw$ hdparm /dev/raw/raw1

/dev/raw/raw1:
HDIO_GET_MULTCOUNT failed: Inappropriate ioctl for device
readonly     =  0 (off)
readahead    = 256 (on)
HDIO_GETGEO failed: Inappropriate ioctl for device

The geometry call craps out on the inode.  This is why CRS fails. It has to
behave exactly like a raw device in order slip past the OCR ioctl() calls.

Rerunning CRS OUI:
w/  /dev/raw/raw1 for OCR (woo hoo)
w/  /dev/raw/raw2 for VOTE (woo hoo reprise)

Shak
w/ help from Jeff Needham