[Linux-cluster] Oracle non-RAC database cluster

Greg Forte gforte at leopard.us.udel.edu
Fri Jul 21 12:54:31 UTC 2006

In fact, yes, I have that exact configuration.  I assume you intend to
operate in an active-passive mode, in which case, everything seems to
work fine (at least, I haven't had any problems since I got it all
working).  Active-active would be a bad idea, for hopefully obvious reasons.

The biggest stumbling block was that you MUST set the hostname and
ORACLE_HOSTNAME env var to the name of a "virtual" IP address that will
always be associated with whichever machine is running oracle at the
moment.  And when starting the listener (though not the database,
enterprise manager(s), or isqlplus, for some reason), you must
temporarily change the node's hostname to that name (you can change it
back as soon as the listener is started).  Failure to do this during the
install will cause you no end of grief later on, and there's no easy way
to fix it afterwards (at least, I never found one).

For various reasons I decided to split up the startup process into
separate components and separate cluster services, so I've got 4 init
scripts (database, listener, em, isqlplus) and corresponding,
independent cluster services.  This may or may not be the smartest way
to do things, but it seems to work.  I'll send you my init scripts
offline if you like - they're shameless hacks, but again, they seem to
work.  ;-)

-g