[Linux-cluster] Error starting up CLVMD

Robert S Peterson rpeterso at redhat.com
Thu Jun 8 22:16:33 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-06-08 at 16:17 -0400, Vernard C. Martin wrote:
> The first node came up fine but the 2nd node is giving me a strange
> error when trying to start up "clvmd". The error is:[root at node001 ~]# clvmd
> clvmd could not connect to cluster manager
> Consult syslog for more information
> [root at node001 ~]#
>
> the syslog has:
> Jun  8 16:04:16 node001 clvmd: Unable to create lockspace for CLVM: No
> such file or directory

Hi Vernard,

I'm not very knowledgeable in the ways of lvm, however, you may want to
check to make sure that lock_dlm.ko is loaded (by using lsmod).
I don't know the code, but I'm guessing it's trying to create a lock
space by opening one of the dlm kernel devices (/dev/dlm*) which should
be controlled by the lock_dlm device driver.  If that's not loaded, it
will fail.

Also, make sure the second box can physically see the SAN in
/proc/partitions.  I've seen some weird things like this happen when a
cluster comes up but some of the nodes can't physically access the SAN.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Bob Peterson
Red Hat Cluster Suite