[Linux-cluster] RHCS/RHEL3 power switches options

Andrew C. Dingman adingman at cookgroup.com
Tue Mar 14 20:58:00 UTC 2006

I'm using APC AP7901 power switches in two different REL3 clusters. If
you don't alter the default configuration beyond setting your own
password, I believe the provided fencing agent works quite well. If you
try to use a more restricted user, it may or may not work. (Probably
not, in my experience.) The problem is that the APC telnet menus change
depending on the privileges of the connected user, so a restricted user
on the switch will not get the menus that the fencing agent expects.

I am also using GFS on those clusters, so I set up the fencing in GFS,
and then used the gulm bridge fencing agent in RHCS, which causes it to
pass the fencing work off to GFS. I have no experience using cluster
suite without GFS, on either RHEL3 or RHEL4.

Hope that helps.