[Linux-cluster] Shutdown/startup

David Teigland teigland at redhat.com
Fri Mar 24 17:27:18 UTC 2006

On Thu, Mar 23, 2006 at 03:12:29PM -0600, Paul Tader wrote:
> So how does one properly shutdown and/or start up a GFS 6.1 cluster.
> Documentation on the procedures are surprisingly sparse.  For example,
> what I've experienced during shutdown are messages like:
>
> CMAN: sendmsg failed: -101
> CMAN: we are leaving the cluster.
>
> from the node shutting down while the the other nodes report that this
> node needs to be fenced off.  What?!  Fenced during a controlled
> shutdown?  Is that correct?  During a complete cluster shutdown, of
> course quorum, at some point is lost, freezing the nodes that have not
> completely shutdown forcing a hard reset on those nodes.  I'm probably
> missing something trivial here, but this doesn't seem right.
>
> Start up also suffers from the "quorum" problem, but it seems to
> recovery once enough nodes are up.

You read the notes here about startup/shutdown?
http://sources.redhat.com/cluster/doc/usage.txt

To shutdown, you umount all fs's on all nodes, fence_tool leave on
all nodes, then leave the cluster on all.  To leave the cluster without
quorum getting in the way use 'cman_tool leave remove'.

To start up, have all nodes join the cluster with cman_tool join,
then have all nodes join the fence domain with fence_tool join,
then start other things.

Dave