[Linux-cluster] Sharing disk using gnbd

Mark Wormgoor mark at wormgoor.com
Thu May 4 18:16:29 UTC 2006

Hi,

I have a small network with 3 machines. All machines are FC5 as of
yesterday. One machine is a server and has most of my storage. I'm
currently sharing the disks using NFS, but am researching better ways of
sharing my disks. My main reason for doing this is that I would like
Posix semantics, but better performance over NFS would be a nice benefit.

I think my main options are gnbd (GFS), iscsi and ata-over-ethernet.
Since GFS is best supported in Fedora, that was my first attempt.
However, when going through the docs, I noticed that I could not mount
the disk on the server itsself.
1. If you use GFS on the disk and mount it like that on the server, you
have to share it using gnbd with nocache, which is a huge performance hit.
2. According to the gnbd docs, you should never import the disks on the
machine they are exported on, so that's out as well.
Can this be true? Is gnbd unusable if you want to use the disk on the
server? On the other hand, GFS is a bit overkill, since I don't need the
clustering; I just want to share my disk.

However, for aoe and iscsi, I think there is no way of sharing the file
system between multiple systems, which would make them unusable.
Besides, I could not find rpms for aoe, and for iscsi I could only find
the server rpm, not the client.

Is there a solution? Am I stuck with NFS?

Kind regards,

Mark